Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I. Am. Desperate.

Or I've just lost it completely, which is more likely. Yesterday we're driving down the highway, the radio was on quietly. And I hear the words "Are your children disrepectful like mine were? Do they blah, blah, blah??"

Yes they are, and YES they do!! Let me turn this up!! Some woman goes on to explain how James Lehman and his Total Transformation system changed her life. How she couldn't take her children out in public for fear of their behavior, and now everything is wine and roses. I sat there listening with rapt attention. I almost got out my cell phone and started dialing when she rattled off an 800 number several times. (I might have except for the fact that I couldn't hook up that hands free thing fast enough!) It felt like this radio commercial was changing my life!! Wow!!

Once it was over my 7 yr old from the back of the van says "I'd like to have that so....." Well its not important why HE wanted it, I don't just want it, I NEED it!!

In the past I would have scoffed at it and said, yeah right...your kids were probably angels compared to mine lady, it probably didn't take much to turn them around. In fact, I have done that...I've heard of this program before, even looked at the website, BUT didn't want to shell out money for something to sit on my shelf with my library of parenting books on kids who are spirited, strong-willed, difficult, defiant, etc. Obviously they've done me so much good... If anyone out there would like 1 or 2 or 10, just let me know, they're yours!

But for some reason, THIS time I didn't scoff at it, THIS time it spoke to me... I haven't been able to get that lady's voice out of my mind telling me that my life could be so much different if I just try this guy's system, it would be a miracle.

Well, damnit, I need a miracle! So I went to the website...I was enticed and drooling...I knew I shouldn't, its not actually going to be a miracle, and the cost, well, we just won't talk about that...but, but...there is a 30 day trial period! When it doesn't work I can just send it back, right?

So before I really even knew what I was doing...I ordered it.

I know, I should probably be ashamed of myself. I am kinda ashamed of myself. But yet, there's the tiny part of my brain that KNOWS that our family can't go on the way it is, my children can't go on behaving they way they do, their issues go way beyond C & I totally screwing up as parents. You know its bad when every time your own parents visit you they ask something along the lines of "how are you not an alcoholic or a drug addict by now??? Seriously, how do you do it???" The answer is: I would be if only I could afford it. Dang, maybe I should rethink the whole getting a job thing...

So what the heck, lets give it a try, if by some tiny chance it actually DOES work, it will be the best money I have ever (and will ever) spent. I may even build a shrine to James Lehman right in the middle of my living room.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda. I'm the producer of the radio commercial you heard, and I just have to say, it was so great to read this, and way to go! I can't wait to read more.

Of course, I'm a big believer in James Lehman's approach because I've personally met so many families who have easier lives because they started using the tools in The Total Transformation Program. But I think there's way more than a tiny chance this will make a difference for you. I think there's a very big chance it will.

Mrs. Lewis, the lady you heard on the radio, had read all the books on "strong-willed children," too, and she came to the same conclusion you did. Something had to change...and fast. I met her when she emailed us to tell us she'd misplaced a couple of the CDs in the program and needed replacements--because it was working! When I read your story here, I saw a lot of similarities. I'm really optimistic that you'll be as happy with your decision as she has been.

Two suggestions: 1.) Sign up for our free monthly newsletter, Empowering Parents (www.empoweringparents.com) if you haven't already. We have a ton of great articles on there by James and many more to come in the weeks ahead. 2.) Please stay in touch. We're here to help you.
Here's to many good days ahead for you and your kids. Thanks!