Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Whoever invented "Family Game Night" had never met my kids...

For Christmas I bought the boy the game Guess What I Am?. I thought they would get a kick out of it and a good time would be had by all.

I do not know what I was thinking. That seems to be my mantra these days, doesn't it?? Instead of having fun and playing, this kind of family activity always turns out to be more of a contest for who can throw the biggest fit.

The very first round R looked at his card (you're just supposed to hold it up in front of your face and not look at it, hence the whole guessing part.) Nobody was mad or upset, we said "wait, stop, don't look at it!" and was about to give him a new one...BUT he went off in a tirade about how everyone was so mean and he wasn't going to play and he ran off to his room crying.

Then a bit later we played the game a different way, as teams. Now, I don't even recall what happened exactly, but something went wrong and E burst out in tears and acted like his life was over because of it. Again, nobody was mad or upset, nothing really bad happened...but you couldn't tell that from the way he was carrying on.

Now that I think about it...when my parents were visiting back in November they brought us the game Pictureka. I know for a fact that E had to leave the game at one point because of his crying and fussing about something. And honestly it was probably more than one time. I also remember that R had his share of issues as well. I'm certain that Grandma and Grandpa were wondering what THEY were thinking when they decide to play a game with my children.

Does it really have to be SO hard to just get along and be happy and have fun for just a little while?? Don't answer that, I already know what you're going to say.

Oooh, this also reminds of the "The Guy" we saw in Souplantation. He was a father there with his children, I think there were 3 of them (they were behind me). As they were making their way to the table one girl starting complaining about how she couldn't hold her tray any more. They were all having some issue and were basically whining to him kinda at the same time. I believe the girl with the tray said she was having trouble (it was hard to really tell since they were all talking at once). And then he says..."You're going to have trouble in life, all of you!"

C and I busted up laughing, although we tried to hide it very well. It was the most PERFECT parent response I think I've ever heard. Ok, maybe not what a "perfect" parent would say, but what every real parent is thinking! And trust me, it is exactly what C and I have been thinking!

No comments: